SUMMER ACADEMY & FESTIVAL
IHMS SUMMER ACADEMY 2022
The Summer Academy and Festival form the core of International Holland Music Sessions (IHMS). Over hundred concerts, in which the active participants perform are combined with lessons and masterclasses by the renowned faculty of teachers from important musical institutes all over the world. The lessons take place each summer during a period of three weeks. The festival period has the adjacent weeks before and after and is five weeks.
FREE ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES IN 2022
We also offer:
- A photo-shoot for free publicity material.
- Coaching in the field of career planning and cultural entrepreneurship by young and experienced colleagues.
- Coaching on audience communication and all aspects of getting the audience attention.
- Coaching on stage presentation, clothing advice etc.
- Video/audio registration of concerts on specific locations.
MORE ATTRACTIVE AND ADVENTUROUS PROGRAMMING
We organise not only the ‘classical’ concerts, but also open-air concerts for a new audience, pop-up performances on surprising locations and preview concerts in non-typical concert locations. We aim at more variety in the regular concerts. Participants should be familiar with different formats, also in their own interest considering the audience of today versus career opportunities.
This of course does not exclude the traditional classical repertoire; we like to see the performances more exciting, broader in styles, more attention for modern music, not only the modern classical composers but also neo-classical, minimal music, pop and jazz inspired etc.
We would like in the program a piece written after, for instance, 1980 by a composer from your own country, inviting the audience to get acquainted with international contemporary music.
Suggestions for interesting adventurous programs, solo or with colleagues, are welcome.
START OF APPLICATION
Online application is now possible. Click APPLY FOR SUMMER ACADEMY at the top.
The application deadline for the Summer Academy is June 1, 2022
THE COSTS OF THE PARTICIPATION
The costs for participation in our Summer Academy & Festival are:
- € 1.050 per week for solo instrument (strings, piano)
- € 2.250 per week for pre-formed piano trio
Solo program for: piano, violin, and cello.
And for pre-formed trio’s: piano trio.
Internationally renowned musicians and pedagogues will give individual lessons and public master classes (free choice of repertoire).
Each solo class will consist of a maximum of 13 active participants.
Participants may use studios and pianos free of charge depending on availability. The system of daily reservation will be explained at arrival. We try to lodge piano participants with host families with an instrument to be used for practising.
FACULTY SCHEDULE 2022
- Week 1: Sunday July 31 – Sunday August 7, 2022
- Week 2: Sunday August 7 – Sunday August 14, 2022
- Week 3: Sunday August 14 – Sunday August 21, 2022
Please note: Sundays are arrival and departure days. Concerts may be programmed on Sundays as well. Classes take place from Monday to Saturday.
Piano trio 2022
- Week 1: Vivian Hornik Weilerstein (New England Conservatory Boston)
- Week 2: Markus Becker (Hochschule für Musik, Theater und Medien Hannover)
- Week 3: Vincent Coq (Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique de Paris)
- Week 1: Boris Slutsky (Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, Yale School of Music New Haven)
- Week 1: Wei-Yi Yang (Yale School of Music New Haven)
- Week 2: Boris Berman (Yale University New Haven)
- Week 2: Graham Scott (Royal Northern College of Music Manchester)
- Week 3: Niklas Sivelöv (The Royal Danish Academy of Music Copenhagen)
- Week 3: Jacques Rouvier (Universität Mozarteum Salzburg)
In a Summer Academy week, you will work with only one professor. We will try to honour your faculty preference.
- Week 1: Silvia Marcovici (University of Performing Arts Graz)
- Week 2: Krzysztof Wegrzyn (Hochschule für Musik, Theater und Medien Hannover)
- Week 3: Takashi Shimizu (Tokyo National University of Arts)
- Week 1: Leonid Gorokhov (Hochschule für Musik, Theater und Medien Hannover)
- Week 2: Reinhard Latzko (Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien)
- Week 3: Alexander Rudin (P.I. Tchaikovsky Conservatory of Music Moscow)
- Individual lessons (not public) and public master classes
- In general the schedule is Monday to Saturday, 10.00 – 17.00 hours with lunch approximately between 12.30 and 14.00 hours. Some faculty members start at 09.00 hours, others also work in the evening.
LOCATIONS SUMMER ACADEMY & FESTIVAL
IHMS has concentrated most of the venues for the lessons, master classes, and concerts right in the centre of the beautiful historic village of Bergen, situated only a short distance from the North Sea beaches in the province of North Holland in the Netherlands.
Lessons and master classes will be given in the Berger Scholengemeenschap, a comfortable and modern secondary school on the edge of the woods of Bergen. This will also be the location where lunches will be provided for all participants. Dinner will be provided at Restaurant Studlers in Bergen.
The concerts by the participants take place in the Ruïnekerk in the centre of Bergen and on many other venues. Public masterclasses by the faculty take place in the Remonstrantse Kerk at Alkmaar. There are more than 30 venues and over 130 concerts each summer
As the organisation provides all participants with bed and breakfast at the host family without extra charge, the Summer Academy offers therefore a complete package of lessons, master classes, housing, and meals included in the fee.
Host families are friends of IHMS who voluntarily offer their hospitality to the participants. Lunch and dinner are provided from Monday to Saturday. On Sunday it can be shared with the host family.
Each active participant will perform at least once at one of our concert locations. The locations are spread over the provinces of North Holland, Friesland, and Zealand. Full recital programs will be shared. Concerts take place almost every day and evening during the Summer Academy & Festival period.
NEW MASTERS ON TOUR
Performances and recommendations from the faculty are important factors in the selection for the upcoming concert series New Masters on Tour.